RUSSELLVILLE, AR – The Arkansas Tech women’s tennis team dominated their home debut with a 7-0 shutout of John Brown University Thursday afternoon. With the victory, the Golden Suns earned their third-straight victory.
The Golden Suns made quick work of doubles play winning all three flights 6-0. The doubles pairing of Megan Bell and Isabella Major finished first followed by the pairing of Lea Grinberg and Danelia Baez.
In singles play, the Golden Suns lost just five total games with no flight losing more than once in a set. Dargude (No. 3), Bell (No. 5) and Major (No. 6) won their matches 6-0, 6-0. Baez at No. 4 won 6-0, 6-1 and both Grinberg (No. 2) and Khoo (No. 1) won in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1.
The Golden Suns will now prepare for a non-conference match against Drury University at home on Saturday, February 27. Drury will come into the match 3-1 on the season and receiving votes in the ITA Preseason National Poll.
Arkansas Tech 7 – John Brown 0
Doubles Competition (3,2,1)
- Aastha Dargude/Michelle Khoo (ATU) def. Sydney Smith/Abigail Woodring (JBU) 6-0
- Lea Grinberg/Daniela Baez (ATU) def. Katie Sandeno/Salasha McBride (JBU) 6-0
- Megan Bell/Isabella Major (ATU) def. Hayvnn Prude/Grace Lindquist (JBU) 6-0
Singles Competition (6,3,5,4,2,1)
- Michelle Khoo (ATU) def. Sydney Smith (JBU) 6-1, 6-1
- Lea Grinberg (ATU) def. Abigail Woodring (JBU) 6-1, 6-1
- Aastha Dargude (ATU) def. Katie Sandeno (JBU) 6-0, 6-0
- Daniela Baez (ATU) def. Salasha McBride (JBU) 6-0, 6-1
- Megan Bell (ATU) def. Hayvnn Prude (JBU) 6-0, 6-0
- Isabella Major (ATU) def. Grace Lindquist (JBU) 6-0, 6-0